Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Life without a phone?

A few days ago I was outside with my daughter as she splashed in her kiddy pool.  All it took was a small bump and the phone slips out and drops into the water.  I fished it out as quick as possible but it was too late and it was a goner.  Or so I thought.  A few hours later it had dried up and was working perfectly fine again.  I was so absolutely thrilled that my phone came back to life.  I was so sure it was busted that I had actually called the cell insurance co. and ordered a new replacement.  Luckily, I was able to cancel the claim without any problems. 

If my phone really was dead and I wasn’t getting a replacement for a few days . . .let’s just say life would have been horrible without a cell.  See, a few years ago, the hubby and I got rid of the regular phone line and just stick with cells to save some cash.  My cell is the only link I have to the outside world.  It’s a dramatic thought I know but that’s how it feels.  I was a bit frantic at the idea of not being able to call anyone if I needed help, or just missing the joy of being able to call someone if I just needed to chat with an adult since most days it’s just my daughter and I.  I never realized how much of a literal life line a phone can be.  It’s not just a cell either.  It’s my alarm clock, my schedule, my calendar, my personal reminders.  My husband jokes that it’s my 2nd brain, and most times I have to agree with him.  I don’t know what day it is without my cell phone.  I’m sure I would have survived without a phone for a few days but I don’t think I would have been a happy person.  I never realized how much I’ve come to depend on my cell phone. 

2 comments:

  1. Lila I hate to break it to you, but you’re a PHONE addict!

    QUOTES
    As cell phones and personal digital assistants become more common, individuals may experience greater pressure to remain connected or available to others, the researchers write. Patients might manifest symptoms of problematic attachment to these technologies or show symptoms of "cell-phone addiction."

    Karen Gail Lewis, a therapist for phone addicts in Cincinnati, says she has even seen clients break out their phones in the middle of a counseling session.

    Americans from all walks of life are jonesing for the latest (Hold on just one sec. I've been trying to get this guy on the line all day. I'll be right back.)

    Don’t worry, it’s fashionable, politically correct, doesn’t harm the one’s you love (because they are probably already phone addicts too), and everybody does it (some of my daughters use this one for just about everything- my rebuttal is the old cliché “If Cindy jumped off the cliff, would you do that too?” and isn't very effective).

    I have similar problem issues with a computer and the Internet, I’ve got backup computers and laptops, about four ways to access the Internet and my excuse, I need it for work and school, it is absolutely necessary.

    Enjoy the jonesing whenever you can, it really helps us to appreciate the good things in life, and after all that’s what we are here for right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robert,
    Ok, My name is Lila and I'm a cell phone addict. lol. I suppose there are worst things to be addicted to. It used to be the same with computers and the internet for me to too. I used to have a desktop and a laptop and be on both at the same time. Now I only have my laptop and my cell phone but the sad part is that I can access the internet on my phone too. It's sad I know. Maybe we can start a support group for internet addicts. I'll bring the coffee. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete