Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Life as a soldier’s wife

No matter how often it happens, it never gets easier to be separated from the one you love.  Hubby is going to be gone for a while and I miss him already. 

Being a soldier’s wife is definitely a tough job.  I don’t think it’s something most people don’t understand until they’ve lived through it.  I certainly didn’t understand it until I started living through it.  Being a wife and mother in general is a full time job but take away your main support and it gets that much more tougher, then throw in the fact that your main support system is being put into a dangerous situation and the stress gets multiplied even more.  I’ve had to live that twice.  Luckily for me this time, my hubby’s only going on a training trip but it still sucks to be apart from each other. 

Don’t worry, I’m not complaining.  I went into the situation fully aware of how things happen when you’re married to a solider.  It’s just too bad most other people weren’t as aware.  Unfortunately, divorce is pretty high in the military.  I hear all sorts of horror stories of how marriages and relationships have fallen apart because of being in the military.  The hubby and I are definitely lucky to still be married and not only love each other still but also still actually like each other.  As cheesy as it sounds, I’m proud to be a soldier’s wife. 

2 comments:

  1. I empathize with your fears and tribulations Lila, it’s really tough like you said, a lot of stress than a marriage should have to endure….

    “Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.” - Napoleon Bonaparte

    I was a soldier’s oldest son; my father was a Navigator (Officer) in the Air Force. My parents were divorced when I was seventeen; my father fell for a very young “Chinese Girl” while we were living in Taiwan. It was devastating to me, I was about to go to college, bad timing Dad! He used the money from my college fund to pay the child support. I had contributed to it (Insurance Policy) by working since I was eleven years old, I had made all of the monthly payments myself until the last two years, which was tough, we had moved to Taiwan and didn’t/couldn’t get a job, but I still thought it was basically my money and no one else’s, but it wasn’t in my name, I wasn’t an adult, so there was nothing that I could do about it. I thought it was unfair, I had been ripped off by my own father, and didn’t speak to him for about twelve years, it really hurt; when I grew up and understood about life a little bit more, it’s no bed of roses, I forgave him, then he ripped me off on a real estate transaction!

    I was also a corpsman (USN- enlisted). I never even considered marriage while I was in the service because of my experience with the “high divorce rate in the military.” I didn’t want to put anyone though the trials of being married to a soldier/sailor, was strong and independent, had a good reason not too, so it worked. If I had gotten married in the service, I probably would have just stayed in for twenty years, but I wanted to see what it was like to be a civilian, probably a big mistake. I could have retired with healthcare and a monthly paycheck over twenty years ago.

    “Never worry about the bullet with your name on it. Instead, worry about shrapnel addressed to 'occupant'.” – Murphy’s Law

    Good luck Lila, God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Doc,
    I just wanted to say thanks for all your years in the service. :) Life in the service definitely has its benefits and drawbacks. Also, I'm sorry about your dad ripping you off. It's not quite the same but my friend's mom stole a check, forged my signature and basically screwed me over too.

    ReplyDelete