Wednesday, July 28, 2010

that horrible thing called free time . . .

I know, I know.  Free time is that thing that is long sought for, complained for and so on.  And lately, I’ve had a lot of it, and it’s driving me nuts.  I’m just one of those people who can’t stand not having something to do.  I always have to be doing something cause if I’m not doing something, well, bad things tend to happen.  I get curious, I take things apart, I get snoopy and, just plain, get into things that I should be into. 

I would be writing on one of my stories but I seem to be stuck and can’t seem to get past these points in my head.  The only thing I can do is wait for my brain to work through them.  Of course, there’s always schoolwork but a person can only work on that so much before she’s ready to murder someone.  I had been crocheting but I finished my project.  I made a sweater for my dog for when when it will get cold in the winter.  Leave me alone--my dog was born in Las Vegas and for the first 5 years of its life we lived in Louisiana so until we moved here to Kansas, he had never deal with cold and snow before.  I was trying to crochet myself a pair of socks but that was a bit of a failure since I couldn’t figure out to modify the pattern to fit me correctly and now I don’t have enough yarn for any interesting project.  The house is as organized as it can be, considering the fact that I just have to get rid of stuff to goodwill and whatnot.  I have been practicing with my bamboo flute and my Irish tin whistle, but I can only practice so much at a time before my dog cries or until my kid takes the instrument from me to try it for herself.  I have also been reading but again, if I keep reading at the rate I’m going I won’t have anything in this house to read soon.  I would paint again but it’s not really something you want get into with a 2 year old around. 

Do you see the lengths I go to keep myself busy?  I need another creative, constructive project.  I may have to take up cross-stitching, since crochet was a bust.  I mean, really, what does one do with free time?

2 comments:

  1. Peace Lila,

    I would not have a problem trading some of your free time for some of my busy-ness. I cannot even buy free time these days. I am so looking forward to getting done with this moving out thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.” – Albert Einstien

    I never have free time, I have stuff on the back burner usually due to losing interest in it or gaining interest in another. There are a lot of problems in the world, solving them or coming up with possible solutions for them is a humanitarian effort, worthwhile, just pick one, solve it, then pick another and so on and so on, if you run out of problems, create a few then solve those. It’s easy as falling off a log. Go shopping, watch people, they are always interesting, might inspire some writing or reading, in any case you should never have free time, it’s the “Devil’s playground” they say and that’s why you get yourself into trouble Lila, but sometimes that’s even fun!

    ReplyDelete