Thursday, August 18, 2016

Band Girl

So it's no secret that my favorite band is the Goo Goo Dolls. I have every one of their albums that I can get my hands. I am part of their official fan club. I have a few t-shirts. I have signed memorabilia. I have been to several of their concerts and have even met them. In short, I'm fairly obsessed with them. 

Their music saved my life. It helped buoy my spirits from sinking so low that I could rise up again. Their lyrics remind me that I'm not alone in my feelings. Theirs songs can make me feel comforted or want to get up and dance. 

The first time I heard their song, "Name," I thought it was a great song but I was in my reject anything remotely popular. Their sound stayed in the back of my mind though. I felt much the same way when I heard "Iris." I more than took note and thought it was an amazing song but for whatever reason I stuck to my guns to not get stuck on popular music. Then I heard "Slide." I cried as I listened to that song for the first time ever. It very simply told me everything I had ever wanted to hear from anyone. I was going through a tough period in my life, so say the least. I had severe insomnia with panic attacks happening a couple of times a day. I bought that album, Dizzy Up the Girl, as soon as I could and it was likely the only thing that kept me sane. Between the Star Wars soundtrack and The Phantom of the Opera soundtrack, I was able to lay down with headphones over my ears to drown out the haunting voices in my head so that I may not have been able to sleep but I was able to rest just a little bit at a time. This band basically saved my life. 

I went to one of their concerts last weekend. I drove 2 hours to sit in the scorching, humid heat just to listen to them play live. I love their intermittent stories and they sounded amazing. I have never been to a bad show of theirs. 

They will always be my favorite band in the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment