Monday, February 10, 2014

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming for this post

I'm a little early on this update but with so much happening in such a short time my mind is feeling overloaded so I figured I might as well unload it ahead of my usual posting schedule. I actually have enough on my mind that I may do at least one other post besides this one in the next week or so and it'll actually be on a specific topic that has some time relevance, but that may change.

The main topic for this post is snow or I should say the troubles of snow but to be even more precise--the troubles of more snow, as I've already posted a complaint about the current cold season. Like they say in those infomercials, "But wait! There's more!" Because with at least 7 inches of snow on the ground, Mother Nature decides to keep making up for all the light precipitation during the past decades' worth of winter seasons and dumps an ice storm on top of us. 

Of course, we lost power with all that weight on tree branches and old tree trunks hanging over power lines. No electricity for 3 days in 10-15 degrees below freezing temperatures is not fun. Lucky for my family, we only suffered for 1 night and spent the other 2 nights at my in-laws home. It's a good thing I get along with my second set of parents so well. My own parents refused to leave their house though. My father being from the old country refused to keep the portable generator on to run something like a space heater even though he admitted the cold was horrendous.  He also refused to go to a relative's house because he needed to make sure the basement didn't flood. My family survived though. The only good thing about them sticking it through was that they were able to watch my dog as I couldn't bring him where we were at because of the solitary life of the cat occupant. My daughter's beta fish wasn't as fortunate to survive the frigid air though and we had to give a burial to the sea. My daughter was very sad for a few days but Henry had a good life and we already have his successor, who she named Ponyo.

The worst of all about this is the fact that we're not done yet. There's another snow/ice storm to come that predicted to not only drop another 6-8 inches of snow but also another 0.10 of an inch of ice.


Honestly, I'm not sure how much more I can take!  My child has already missed about a week of school because of all the snow days and she's likely to miss another few more days at least. I'm already in the process of scrambling to get caught up in my work and projects. I don't really need another drop of winter precipitation to continue slowing down my progress.  

No comments:

Post a Comment