Monday, March 31, 2014

Gaming means having lived many different lives

I'm a gamer.  I don't mean I sit on Facebook for hours playing FarmVille, Candy Crush or whatever crash culture game is popular at the moment.  I mean I shot my first Nazi in Wolfenstein.  A few of my favorite games on the Nintendo are River City Ransom, Dragon Warrior and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I killed my fellow competitor with a blood splattered fatality in Mortal Kombat.  I played the original Sims and destroyed my Sim City.  My first RPG on the original Playstation was Parasite Eve and one of the top games on my list of all time favorites is Star Ocean the Second Story.  Many hours were sucked into Guild Wars and a few other MMOs.  I played against my husband and his army friends in home Halo 2 tournaments and won a few times.

I'm a fairly hardcore gamer, especially for being a bird (female) but I didn't go around telling anyone who will listen cause it used to be that I was too busy actually playing the game.  Nowadays, life keeps me busy with matters of the family and such.  The rare and few nights that I push all things aside for my own relaxation and entertainment I can't enjoy my first lifelong obsession.  

RPGs are the forefront of my love for video games.  I live through the plots.  I fall in love with characters.  I dwell in adventures of far-off lands.  I also adore simulation games.  I have no idea why I find planting turnips in any of the Harvest Moons so enjoyable for the many hours I have played any of the game series.  I obsess over the newest Sims games because I likely have a god complex and revel in it.  My first genre love though was in FPSs (First Person Shooters).  My favorite one on the PC while growing up was this crazy, gory and sadistic game called Blood.  I have mastered shotgun physics and call it my Equalizer as I can level any areas with it.  


I still play sim games any day of the week and wish I had more hours to devote to RPGs but I can't seem to play FPSs anymore.  I get motion sickness.  I can't play for more than 45 mins before I start feeling the acids in my stomach start to boil.  I am able to build on the time to add about 10-15 mins each day.  If I can up the total to about 3 hours, I can play for as long or as little as I want and it won't bother me but I can't go more than 3 days without playing or I lose any tolerance and go back to feeling ill at the 45 min mark.  It's near heart wrenching for me when that happens cause it takes me a week or so to build up that tolerance, get into the story, just to feel ill and not be able to enjoy the game like before.  

I have actually resorted to trying motion sickness remedies.  The first try is an all natural remedy that I have to rub behind my ears.  It's supposed to give instant relief if I am already feeling nauseous but that had no bearing on me whatsoever.  I'm going to try it again by putting it on beforehand as a preventive measure to see if that works.  If it gives me no results, there are a few other cures out there that I can try.  I'm not giving up quite yet.  I hope to game again!

No comments:

Post a Comment