Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Learn Your History, Man . . .

Or you'll be doomed to repeat it!

The problem is what do you do when you can't learn your own history.  It's a situation that not many understand.  After all in this day and age, people are living longer and longer and in some cases having kids earlier and earlier so history is within easy access of simply calling up grandmother or in some cases great-grandmother.  Sometimes, a person doesn't have that though and there's no records of familial history.  The question stands how does one learn of their history if they know nothing of it.

Unfortunately, due to different circumstances, I'm one of those few.  I have never met my own grandparents.  I have uncles and aunts who I have no idea what their names are and likely more cousins than I might ever know what to do with but because of how secretive my parents are and thanks to a cultural barrier, I'll likely never meet them.  It's bothersome to enter a new doctor's office and have to fill out those patient history forms as it's just a reminder that I don't know any of that info.  At this point for all I know I could be susceptible to every disease imaginable and yet I'm forced to live in ignorance about it.  

I may never know my family history but my child doesn't have to remain that way for at least half of her family.  I'm in the process of researching family history.  www.ancestry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment